Friday, April 8, 2016

Week 13: Celebrating Failure

Just this semester I did have a time where something did not work for me multiple times, as Thomas Edison would have said. This occasion for me was during a time where I was trying to communicate with a Raymond James advisor about me coming into their office and doing any kind of work for them that they would allow me to do for no pay. My intentions were to be around them and ask questions so that I could take a few hours out of the week to learn about the area of work that I desire to do upon graduating. There is no way to learn how to be prepared for this kind of career unless you have experience, therefore, that is what I was doing. Unfortunately, after many email attempts, we could not come up with time for me to introduce myself and come into their office.

I learned from this that people are very busy, and sometimes things really just do not work out. I know that I must keep trying even if it is with other local firms around Gainesville.

In my opinion, failure is a part of life. In sports many professional athletes will say that people don't see how good you really are by seeing you excel at something, but rather the ability to bounce back when things aren't going well. I know that this stretches far beyond the scopes of sports and well into the real world. I feel like this task showed me that hundreds of other students were able to make it through the pain of failure and the awkward interviews and the whole nine yards, so I could definitely say that this course has made me feel a little better with taking a risk.

  

3 comments:

  1. Hello Derek! I really like your post and I feel similar ways when facing my own failures. There also times where I remember to do the assignment, done and submitted it, but forgot to declare for the point I deserved. But you are right that actually this kind of small, fixable failure can often make you a more improved person and be more careful and well planned for the next time. So lets continue to work hard together! I am sure success will come if we never give up! If you like, please check out my blog post :
    http://wtl328.blogspot.com/2016/04/celebrating-failure.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Derek,

    I can imagine that that experience may have been a bit frustrating for you. I'm glad that you didn't let this discourage you though! It sounds like you've decided to work through this and to continue looking at other firms. I would suggest though, that maybe you might walk in one day. Maybe that might help you land a spot there!

    The failure I discussed in my post was one that was also work related but it was for my own business. I could help but feel frustrated and discouraged. You can read about my experience here:

    http://jessgervais.blogspot.com/2016/04/celebrating-failure.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Derek,
    First of all, I like the picture. I like how you worded your opinion on failure: "failure is a part of life". That is the kind of attitude that it takes to persevere in the world of entrepreneurship. I would not take the Raymond James thing too hard either. Getting your foot in the door with an organization can be incredibly hard. I admire your confidence and initiative in taking the first step with them.
    Thanks for sharing! Here is a link to my own blog should you want to check it out: http://ablog4c.blogspot.com/2016/04/celebrating-failure.html

    ReplyDelete