Saturday, January 16, 2016

Week 2: Bug List

There are always things that "bug" people in their every day lives. I have twenty things that I could say bug me and what I believe to be wrong with these things.

1) wider seats on the RTS busses in Gainesville
-The seats on the RTS busses are very close together and if they each were a little wider with an arm rest it would be more comfortable for everyone.
2) There is only one main way in and out of campus, therefore, at 5:00 in the afternoon during the fall and spring semesters the traffic becomes very heavy.
-It would be helpful if there were more lanes, as well as more than one way in and out that is still convenient to get out.
3) The swimming pool at my house in Orlando is solar, but only stays warm when it is sunny.
-The solar panels should be able to absorb energy from the sun and save it rather than only have the water go through the hot panel coils when it is sunny.
4) The lines at Super Walmart in Gainesville are always very long.
-If the stores had not had budget cuts, and had employees working on registers when they are busy, the lines would not be so long all the time.
5) The toilet in my apartment complex always runs and wastes water as well as makes a lot of noise.
-The Maintenance crew could be a little less cheap and use tools that fix the problem rather than temporarily patch it for a few days.
6) In the movie theaters the front row seats are all wasted because of the terrible angle looking up at the screen.
- This happens because they are trying to maximize space, but it can be changed by moving around the design of the seating.
7) Other countries have high speed trains, and the US still has regular railways.
-The advancement in technology is here, we could have a faster railway to make it more convenient to use for everyday travel.
8) Advertisements on TV take too much time during movies.
- They are used as promotions for companies, but there has to be a better place to add them in aside from movie channels.
9) Hit and run car accidents are a common thing that happen on the roads today.
- If we were to have more cameras in cars and at major intersections it would be easier to stop people from getting away with hit and run accidents.
10) The drainage ditch in the front of my house creates a mess when it rains.
- It is a good idea for all drainage ditches to be filled and have a pipe run under the ground.
11) There is always a lot of food that is wasted from restaurant, and plenty that comes from theme parks.
- We could have more ways of recycling the food, or saving it and donating it to something to be more efficient and environmentally sustainable
12) One of my family members cleans office buildings and she does it alone. It takes a very long time because she has to do a lot of work that takes a lot of time.
- If there was a way to have some kind of programmable robotic I-cleaner to do the work of another person to make the process go faster and be more efficient.
13) Having to hear a smoke detector go off constantly when the batteries die is very annoying for anyone have the smoke detectors use a small solar powered charge so that you never have to replace the batteries again.
14) While on the topic of batteries, my father has been having battery problems in his boat. It is a pain having to keep changing out a battery every time you want to start the engine.
- If there was a way to have something other than a battery to turn the crank shaft in the engine, we would never have troubles getting the boat to start again.
15) It is a little bit inconvenient sometimes when playing the lottery because it is hard to tell how much a winning ticket is worth unless it is scanned at the store.
- It would be great if there was a mobile scanner to tell you how much you won right away.
16) It is a pain to get up and open up a window that is, say, behind a couch in your home or apartment.
- The solution is to have windows that are electronically opened by remote inside the home.
17) It is expensive to replace your shoes when they wear them after a while.
- It could be a lot more effective if there was a good way to "re-tread" your shoes. In other words, put new soles on the bottoms to get a possible double life out of them.
18) Mechanical pencils are great, and a lot of college students. Unfortunately, the graphite is very thin and tends to break very easily.
- I would like to see a sharp, but thin stick of graphite and be able to push it and not worry about it breaking.
19) Many people have DVD's, but DVD players are becoming more and more out of date and rare.
- We should be able to save the DVD movie to a playlist right into the TV to select it and watch.
20) I don't like taking my car in to get an oil change every 3,000 miles.
- I would love to have an oil that does not need to be changed, or refilled. It would be cheaper, as well as more sustainable for the environment.

At first, I thought that it would be a really easy task to come up with twenty issues that I could feel could be corrected or made better. It turns out that I was wrong! There was a lot of things that came right to me at first, but after about ten or so, I was having trouble thinking about things that I felt could really be innovated to help with day to day life.

2 comments:

  1. Writing out 20 bugs is hard! I think it would be easier to come up with problems gradually, as there are things that pop up every day, rather than sitting down to knock out a list in one sitting.

    How do I write this response without touching on every bug on your list...it sounds like your apartment needs a new toilet, though apartment complexes are notorious for louder plumbing because everyone is connected and runs different hours, etc. Your bugs are completely different from mine—see here: http://adventuresinent.blogspot.com/2016/01/the-bug-list.html–so I enjoy the change of perspective.

    I’m especially a fan of the retreading of shoes. I found this instructable http://www.instructables.com/id/Slick-Shoes-No-More-Retread-Your-Old-Kicks/. I would never think of retreading my shoes. There seems to be a pattern of interest in energy/how things are powered. You may want to reflect on that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Derek,

    First, I'd like to say that I have been to Gainesville and had the chance to ride on the RTS busses in Gainesville. I also thought wider seats would make it more comfortable! It was full of students and it was hard for me to move around freely. I also agree with your #9 bug. I recently had a hit and run incident happen to me and all I can say is that it was very bad day.

    I enjoyed reading your list of bugs becuse you named a lot of bugs that I would get annoyed with but I don't think we have any that match! I really enjoyed reading #16 and #13 due to the fact that it seems to happen to me a lot.

    I also agree that in the beginning this assignment seemed like an easy task. The more you go down the list the harder it got for me as well. I feel like most blogs I've read, had the same troubles.

    Thank you for sharing your post!
    Brian Do Kim

    ReplyDelete