Thursday, February 11, 2016

Week 6: Idea Napkin No. 1


My "idea napkin" is probably a little bit different than most others. A lot of people will be doing things such as a product that might help other college students, or just something that will make day to day life run smoother. However, that is not quite the case for me. Since my career goal is to become a financial advisor being a CFP, my business will be operating my own advising firm.



1) Though I am only 19, and most people would not feel very comfortable allowing me to take their money and invest it for them, I am a person who surrounds himself with others who will be able to help me do such a thing. My aspirations are to learn as much as I can, as quickly as I can so that I can start making a huge impact on people’s lives by allowing them to reach financial goals throughout the milestones in life. The main way that I see this business playing a role in my life is that it will allow me to personally connect to thousands of people and learn a lot about the different styles of living people may have. This experience could help better me as a person as well as the people that I meet.



2) Basically, what I would be offering my customers is an opportunity to talk with me and come up with the best form of investment for them to reach a financial goal they might be shooting for. An example of this might be someone trying to plan on a way to pay for their child’s college in “X” number of years, and it would be my duty to figure out how to do this in a way that suits them the best.



3) Given that most young people are not too worried about making long term investments, such as retirement, or things like that, I would be targeting people who are ages 30 and up give or take a few years. Looking for local businesses and offering these investment opportunities to the company’s employees would be a good way of targeting the correct individuals. But the key is that I need to find customers who all are looking at their future and it is my job to get them thinking about it if they are not already.



4) A big question would be why do they care about this service? Well, if you were to really think about it, how bad would it be if we were talking about retiring and then not knowing if you are going to outlive your money? The people in the world are living much longer than they used to, so retiring at 65 and living another possibly 30 or more years is not unlikely. Therefore, people should care very much that they can comfortably live and have a good time when they stop working.



5) I think what really sets me apart from anyone else is my desire to really get on a personal level with each person I am working for. I think that is one of the most important things in the financial advising business is getting your clients to really trust you so that you are able to take your knowledge and use it to benefit them to the best that you can. That sense of family is what sets me apart from some other advisors when I become one.


All in all, I believe that all of these points go rather well with each other. It is difficult to say everything about this business as of now because it is something that takes much experience to fully understand and have it down. But in this learning process of the business, I am going to take what I can from it and use it to make my very own business.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Derek! This idea is awesome! It's so great to be ambitious and I think you will be very successful because of that! This idea is innovative and very put together. It's great you hope to become personally connected to your customers; this is much more important than a lot of people realize. If you want to check out my idea, it can be found here: http://entblogemilytreasure.blogspot.com/2016/02/idea-napkin-no-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Derek, I really like how your product is a service rather than a tangible object. I think that many people would use your service because of how protective people are of their money. People obviously need to have plans about their future, so I think that your service will help them do just that. Check out my idea napkin here - http://mudine.blogspot.com/2016/02/idea-napkin-no-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Financial advising is certainly an important field. I'm glad you have the aspirations to use your skills, drive and knowledge to help others from preventing themselves diving into possible financial sorrow. I think your aspirations to keep it about the customer, and less about the business/money really sets you apart. Best of luck with you ventures and don't let you age be your weakness!

    Check out my blog here http://kevindoanent3003.blogspot.com/2016/02/idea-napkin-no-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you're really passionate and I hope you get a chance to open up your own business. UF is a great school that will give you a great education to pursue your dream. Maybe working for a big firm after you graduate, would provide you with some experience in order to open your own. Goodluck with you business venture. Check out my post http://ent3003sw.blogspot.com/2016/02/idea-napkin-no-1.html

    ReplyDelete