Thursday, February 25, 2016

Week 8: Half-way Reflection

This is a reflection of the half-way point of this Spring 2016 semester here at UF.

1) Tenaciousness is a skill. What are the behaviors that you have used (or developed) to keep up with the requirements of this course? 

I must say that what I learned in this course so far is planning and implementation of the plan. Having to set up interviews, and research business ventures is not something that is easy enough to just throw together in 15 minutes like any normal college student might want to do.

2) Tenaciousness is also about attitude. Talk about a moment or two when you felt like "giving up." What pulled you through? Do you feel like you've developed a tenacious attitude during the past two months? What experience or experiences most contributed to this?

I believe that the elevator pitches were the most challenging thing for me and made me want to quit. The reason this is, is because of the amount of research and the extreme time constraint put on us. I like things to be perfect so it is really hard to make up a business idea and have all of the information you would need for an investors pitch in such a short time. If you have ever seen shark tank you know that some of these people have been doing research for years and even already have their product launched. This is an example of how difficult it is in this class.

3) Three tips. What are three tips you would offer next semester's student about (1) fostering the skills that support tenacity and (2) developing the 'tenacious mindset' ?

If I had to give three tips, they would be the following:
1 Be sure and do all of the assignments early and plan them out because going out and recording interviews takes preparation.
2 Don't give up, because it is all for your benefit and it will pay off.
3 Be as creative as possible because that will allow you to think outside of the box with your ideas and endeavors.

Good luck,
GO GATORS!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Derek! I came up with some similar comments as I did on my blog. I like that you brought up how difficult the elevator pitch was with a very limited time constraint. I am very similar to you in the fact that I would want it to be absolutely perfect. I would've needed more time for me to absolutely nail my elevator pitch. Overall you did a good job with this assignment and I think you would enjoy checking mine out! http://cambent.blogspot.com/2016/02/half-way-reflection.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Derek. I definitely agree with you about the difficulty of the elevator pitches, and how the perfectionist attitude really makes it seem like there's a lot of pressure on you with our time constraints. I believe I said something similar in my own post: http://bpace9583.blogspot.com/2016/02/half-way-reflection.html

    Other than that, I think thinking outside the box is definitely valuable advice for someone taking this class in the future. Glad you mentioned that.

    ReplyDelete